Wednesday 25 January 2012

Kicking off the tour

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this blog!  If you have any questions please feel free to tweet to us @aboveandbeyond or me personally @jonogrant.  Hopefully I'll find time to post some ramblings over the next few weeks if it's of interest?

On Monday I arrived in Boston, and what a great city it is.  I had a good nose around the city with my wife who has come to America with me.  Although I enjoy driving, I love to be able to wander around a city on foot rather than being forced to drive just to go and buy a pint of milk!  Boston is therefore "Jono-friendly".

Doing normal stuff with friends - a winter's sunday drive....


Despite the fact that I was fortunate enough to fly to Boston in First Class with British Airways (they are by far my favourite airline - in this job, you naturally become a bit of a flyer-geek: think George Clooney "Up in the Air" and you're getting there), I find it's always best to come in a day early and acclimatise before doing a show anyway more than a few hours away from my home in London.  Jet-lag really is a killer for me no matter how much comfort I fly in.  I've tried various ways to combat it, but I am not sure there is a magic cure as such.  If anyone knows one, then I'm all ears.

My preferred airline, and choice of plane (747)

Anyway, I'm really excited about the next 3 weeks of touring the USA by bus.

Above & Beyond Tour Bus

There'll be no taking belts/shoes off at security, unpacking laptops to be scanned, lugging of heavy bags into airports etc - just hop on and go.  It really takes the stress out of travel and ups the enjoyment of this amazing job.  A lot of touring is also spent simply waiting around, and if that can be done while moving on the road, seeing the scenery in America and hanging out with your mates on a comfortable tour-bus, then I'm all for it.

Right now we've just left Boston. In interviews we often get asked what we expect of the place or crowd, and I have learned over the years to not expect anything and to simply go in with an open mind.  This way you also avoid any potential disappointment.  By the way, that's why I don't like answering that question if any interviewers are reading!  We try to give every show 100%, and thanks to everyone who made it a great night in Boston.  The crowd were amazing - I mean it!  Anyone who was there will know what I am talking about.  While we may supply the music, without positive feedback from the audience, a show is nothing and I think it's important from our perspective to never forget that.  It's a two-way process and not a case of some guys pretending to be god standing at the front playing records or something!

While we were in Boston we stayed in a prison - yes, really!  Well, actually the hotel we were in was a beautifully converted prison, called the Liberty Hotel.  

The Liberty Hotel

Personally I love much of the architecture of the East Coast of the USA, and this is no exception.  The west coast certainly has the weather and perhaps laid-back lifestyle, but when it comes to interesting buildings and architecture, East is the clear winner in my book.

So, having had 3 weeks off in January, which is perhaps the closest I will get to living a "normal" life this year, I'm back to life on the road again.

In January I went to bed at the right times (well, most of the time), saw friends, worked in the studio during waking hours for the most part, went to the cinema, managed to drive my car, even cooked a few meals.  All "normal' simple things that we miss when on the road.  How ever much you think you know how different being a touring musician or DJ is from normal life, once in a while you need a real reminder of this to really feel it and not lose yourself in the mayhem...  Yet by the end of those 3 weeks I couldn't wait to get back on the road to join in in the mayhem!  It's addictive.

5 comments:

  1. @jonogrant, @aboveandbeyond, @tonymcguiness - we
    are waiting for you in Los Angeles, friends. travel and spin safely.

    all the best,
    @ATOMCAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope we get a tour of your bus...that looks mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so wonderful having you here in Boston. I can barely put into words what it was like seeing you and Tony last night. It wasn't like it was my first time being a part of #Anjunalove (try 13th), but something about last night was truly special. Maybe, just like you, I wasn't sure what to expect from the night so I went in with an open heart and I guess that is the only way one can truly be a part of Group Therapy. I know you three beautiful people get told all the time that your music saves lives and brings people together in the most powerful ways - please don't ever think it's hyperbole, because it isn't. Thank you for doing what you do, thank you for the love, thank you for making us a part of your journey, and thank you for helping each of us tiny stars in this vast universe believe in the power of our spirits.

    Enjoy your bus tour, hope there will be an episode of A&B TV or a DVD chronicling the mayhem for us to add to our collections. Spine Tap: Above & Beyond Style ;)

    P.S. - needless to say it was a life-changing set, but special thank you for playing Breaking 2Night and Satellite <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply can not wait to see what you have in store for Hartford tonight. Getting there from NYC and being back at my desk for 9am tomorrow morning might be a bit of a tough task, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I share your hope for a lively crowd.

    Fingers crossed for some Tri-State tracks! If you're taking requests, World on Fire is a personal favorite..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking ultra forward to see you in Ann Arbor, Michigan for my birthday! I've seen Tony and Paavo 3 times between Detroit and Chicago over the years, but never Jono though! It's time for some serious group therapy!!!!!! :o)

    Also, I'm very thankful for all you guys do, can't really imagine the world without you or your music... Much respect for such individuals with high class and humbleness! You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete