Monday 30 January 2012

Baker Street, Air horns, and welcome Paavo!

A little update from Guelph, where we just arrived.  I did feel at home arriving here as when we got off the bus today we were greeted with this sign:

London, UK anyone?
So, a little bit about the last few gigs.  Thanks to all the people who've come to the shows over the last few days - I'm almost at the stage where I'm losing track of exactly where we've been - really!  I had to ask what day it was today.  Ooops!

Ottawa was Tony's favourite show of the tour I think, and the crowd certainly were great there.  I honestly struggle to pick favourites as each has their own memory for me and really we've not had a bad gig.

Last night we had a great show in Waterloo - another new place for me.  Perhaps the most memorable thing about last night (other than the amazing crowd who were extremely loud during "sun & moon") was Simon, our production manager, telling me "we don't have any CO2 tonight, but you see that button there?  Well that's the air horn if you want to have a go!".

I'm not a huge fan of those things, as they are a little bit toy-town in my opinion, but boys will be boys and it was getting towards the end of the night, so inevitably I was going to have to hit the big red button.

A big red button

I had a go and couldn't get the thing working during Megashira, and then suddenly it decided to work, emitting a rather pathetic "paaarrrp" at completely the wrong moment causing Tony, myself and many people in the audience to burst out laughing.  It was like being at an old western movie.  Within minutes and a few more jokular blasts from Mr McGuinness, my eyes were watering and I was in hysterics.  It wasn't even that funny, but I had started laughing and couldn't stop, then before I knew it my eyes were watering and I was in that laughing loop thing that happens once in a while.

I'm not sure air-horns are very "us", but there you go.

Waterloo - a bit of a blur!
Montreal, the place where they party VERY late!
No air horns here in Ottawa!

Well, posting those pics really has reminded me that I need to dig out my proper camera as the iPhone 4 isn't cutting it (a poor workman blames his tools, eh?).  Thankfully today Paavo, Mr Photographer Extraordinaire, arrives in town so I will be kept on my toes and will now have to charge up my Fuji X100 to keep up with his prowess!  Tony has now left to go back to London as he has gig with his 80s band "Sad Lovers and Giants" in his other life....

So, tonight we're in Guelph and I managed to grab some lunch as we were here so early - again a benefit of travelling by road today as we're not just confined to dodgy airplane food.  I managed to stop off for a quick gourmet burger in the downtown area.  I forget the name, but it was something beginning with a "W" for any locals reading....  I generally try to eat healthily on the road, though it's not always easy, but as we actually have a bit of time today it seemed a good opportunity to scoff on some comfort food that I can take a while to wear off....  The burger was pretty good, but what was interesting was how they served the water!

Till next time....  Jono x


A "glass" of water, Madam? :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I knew several things about Tony but didn't know that he has gigs with his band parallel with his A&B life. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 I love you above & beyond - @officialkutes

    ReplyDelete
  3. The restaurant is called The Works and it has like a billion different sorts of burgers!

    ReplyDelete